ORGANIZING PLAIN & SIMPLE MONTHLY
You may never know what results come of your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result. ~ Gandhi
Tips & Inspiration for Organizing a Simpler Life
January 2015 – Vol. 14 No. 1
5 Armchair Decluttering Tips
You want to declutter your home. I know you do. I also know that the hardest part is getting started. So I’ve come up with five things you can do to declutter, organize and simplify your life – without even getting out of your seat. No excuses now…get to it!
1. Declare your freedom. Make today the day you declare your freedom from clutter by making a decision to surround yourself with ONLY the things that are meaningful to you today. Let go of the rest. If you don’t love it or use it, lose it.
2. Phone a friend. Who do you know who is always saying she needs to get organized? Call that friend or family member. Float the idea of decluttering together – one week at your house and the next week at her house and so forth. Or set weekly goals and hold each other accountable. Or commit to helping each other work on bigger projects like cleaning the basement or garage. No luck finding an accountability partner? No excuse. Join my free organizing support group on Facebook.
3. Be a daydream believer. Picture yourself in a home that’s clean and uncluttered. Close your eyes and mentally walk through your home, room by room. What does it look like? What do you love most? How does it make you feel? Before you start every decluttering session, return to that vision and hold it in your mind.
4. Decide to share your abundance. Someone, somewhere could really use the stuff that’s just taking up valuable space in your home. Donating it all to one charity is the quickest and easiest way to get clutter out of your house. Go to Donationtown.org and find a charity in your area that will pick up donations. Bonus: Your donations may be tax-deductible; check with your tax advisor.
5. Make a promise to your future self. Ask yourself: What is one thing I have been avoiding that if I did it, would make me happier or make my life easier? Take a deep breath. Stand up and get started on that task, even if it’s only to schedule time to do it. Your future self will thank you.
Originally written for and published at Inside Storey, Storey Publishing’s blog
Top 5 blog posts in 2014
January 2015 marks the beginning of my 14th year publishing the blog. According to my blog stats, these were the most popular posts from 2014. Maybe worth re-reading?
Decluttering and the Broken Windows Theory (inspired by a trip to Walmart)
Favorite organizing products and resources
As a professional organizer for the last 14 years, I’ve used and recommended a lot of organizing products, services and resources. Every month, in this column, I share my favorites.
Last month, I introduced you to a way you can scan all of your photos without buying a scanner or paying someone to scan them for you. You can rent a photo scanner from EZ Photo Scan and do it yourself, saving yourself a lot of money in the process. They offer 3-day and 7-day rentals. Imagine having all of your photos digitized in a matter of days! Here’s an idea for you: Get some friends and/or family members to go in on the cost with you and have a photo scanning party!
This month, I want to remind you that this is your last chance to get 20% off a new subscription to Get Organized magazine. This is the only magazine that is dedicated to getting organized and written by some of the best, most dedicated professional organizers in the country. And it’s available in print and digital forms. Click HERE to order. Enter the discount code GETORGJAN15 to save 20%. And then check out the giveaway tab for a chance to win a Scan Snap ix500 scanner – a $450 value. This amazing scanner scans a blazing 25 pieces of paper per minute! But the giveaway ends today January 24. So hop to it!
Shameless promotion: Catch me if you can!
I’ve got a busy week coming up with live events from coast to coast. Catch me if you can!
On Tuesday, January 27, I am participating in a nationwide radio media tour to promote my new book Clear the Clutter, Find Happiness. Some of the segments will be taped to air at a later date. But following are the radio programs where you can catch me live:
8:15-8:25AM ET GREENVILLE/ JACKSONVILLE, NC WTKF-FM / WJNC-AM COASTAL DAYBREAK
8:35-8:45AM ET NATIONAL SYNDICATED DAY BREAK USA
8:50-9:00AM ET REGIONAL MASSACHUSETTS & RHODE ISLAND WBSM-AM PHIL & KASEY LIVE
9:00-9:10AM ET COLUMBUS/BUCYRUS WQEL-FM MORNING SHOW
9:10-9:20AM ET BALTIMORE WRBS-FM MORNINGS WITH TRACEY, MIKE & DAVE
9:35-9:45AM ET MADISON/LACROSSE MADISON,LACROSSE MORNING SHOW
11:35AM-11:45AM ET KANSAS CITY KMOX-AM/FM THE CHARLIE BRENNAN SHOW
On Wednesday, January 28, I will be the guest speaker at the monthly meeting of the Phoenix chapter of the American Marketing Association. My topic: Organizing Yourself for Success in 2015.
On Thursday, January 29 at 7pm, I’ll be sharing how I downsized from a 3,500-square-foot home to a 300-square-foot home on wheels and presenting tips from my book Clear the Clutter, Find Happiness at Changing Hands bookstore in Phoenix. Come say hello!
On Friday, January 30 at 5pm, I’ll be grabbing a light supper at Wildflower Bread Company at Tempe Square Shopping Center, 6428 South McClintock Drive, Tempe, AZ 85283 (next door to Changing Hands bookstore). You’re welcome to join me for an informal chat over soup and salad. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want me to reserve a seat for you.
On Friday, January 30 at 7pm, I’ll be at the Changing Hands bookstore in Tempe doing a repeat performance of the previous night in Phoenix.
And don’t forget…
The eBook version of Clear the Clutter, Find Happiness is on sale for just $2.99, but only through the end of this month! Snap it up from your favorite online seller:
That’s all for this month. Until next month, keep it simple.
FULL DISCLOSURE: Some links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission which goes toward the continuation of this complimentary newsletter. Please note that I only recommend products that I would recommend whether I got paid or not.